The ENVIS Centre on Status of Environment and Related Issues was set up vide a Memorandum of Understanding signed between The President of India acting through the Secretary Ministry of Environment & Forests, Government of India and the Environment Protection Training and Research Institute (EPTRI) on behalf of Government of Andhra Pradesh.
The ENVIS Focal Point has set up a network called Environmental Information System (ENVIS) to collect and disseminate information relating to environment through Institutions and State Government Department/Organizations with the express objective to collect and supply information on environment as required by the ENVIS.
The ENVIS Centre at Environment Protection Training and Research Institute (EPTRI) is required to furnish information on Status of Environment and Related Issues for Andhra Pradesh collected by it to ENVIS Focal point as and when required or to such persons or bodies, namely Central and State Government, and Organizations, Scientific Institutions and Research Scientists (user), etc.
The ENVIS Center is required to develop and maintain an information base that includes both descriptive information as well as numerical data. Descriptive information in the form of publications, reports, reprints and abstracts on Status of Environment and Related Issues of Andhra Pradesh will be stored for dissemination. Numerical data on the same subject will be collected, compiled, processed and analyzed for the purpose of dissemination. Documentation in the form of publications and reports would be brought out. All the information thus compiled will be made available on the website launched.
The ENVIS Centre on Status of Environment and Related Issues for Andhra Pradesh shall be required to:
- Collect books, reports and journals for retrieval, dissemination and database creation.
- Host and maintain a website athttp://apenvis.nic.in on the subject 'Status of Environment & Related Issues for Andhra Pradesh'
- Publish abstracts on the subject area.
- Have linkages with information sources in the country and abroad for increasing the information contents.
- Supply information on the queries referred to it, by ENVIS Focal Point, Central Government, Departments and Organizations, State Government Departments and Organizations, Scientific Institutions and Research scientists in the country, in the form of copies of published reports, documents, abstracts and research papers.
- Help in building up an inventory of authentic and reliable information material.
- Establish data banks containing data on relevant subject area.
- Identify data gaps and knowledge gaps in their subject areas and prepare a status report and enable policy decision.
- Bring out news letters and other publications in their subject areas.